TOEFL Writing Test Structure
A well known fact about TOEFL is, it’s a trip to pursue one’s studies in an English speaking country. If a student wants to take this trip, he/she must follow the key steps in TOEFL, after a good preparation. Those key steps are nothing but the test structure for each section in TOEFL. Like the other sections in TOEFL, writing test section also aims in testing the proficiency of a person to write in English in an academic environment. But it also uses some of the specific skills that are used in reading and listening sections. Read on more to know how does the TOEFL writing test structure, makes use of those specific skills.
Complete TOEFL Writing Test Structure
Writing section in TOEFL is offered in two formats viz internet based (iBT) and paper based TOEFL (PBT) writing test. The skills for both the test formats are same and the only difference is timing.
1. Internet Based TOEFL Writing Test (iBT)
Internet based TOEFL writing test consists of two parts namely one integrated task and one independent task. Both the task measures the ability of students to write essays in Standard English format. This is a common purpose of integrated and independent task in writing section. The total timing given for writing test in TOEFL is 50 minutes. This 50 minutes is divided in such a way that 20 minutes is allotted for integrated task and 30 minutes for independent task.
The time allotted for integrated task is planned according to the tasks, which a student should perform in the test. Detailed information on integrated task is given below.
- Integrated Task - In this part of writing section, students will be given a passage on academic topic to read. It will take 3 minutes for them to read the passage. Once they complete reading the passage, a recording on the same topic will be played for 2 min.
- After the reading and listening procedure, the key facts that relates the reading passage and recording should be identified. Then the common purpose for both the passages should be found, which is followed by the cause, and major ideas.
- The next step after finding the purpose and other aspects, as mentioned in the above statement, is that a comparison between the reading and recorded passage should be done. Here “comparison” is the hub of the integrated part of the writing section. It helps in demonstrating, how the key facts in reading passage are related to the recorded one.
- Finally a summary of the relating facts and details between passages (reading and listened) should be written. The time given for writing the summary is 15 minutes.
On the whole it is important not to spend too much of time on thinking because , it is 3 minutes for reading, 2 minutes for listening and 15 minutes for writing(total time - 20 minutes). This is because the passage for both the parts is from an academic environment. As a result, students have to explain the contents which relate the passages and not their personal ideas or opinion.
The time span for an independent task is little higher because this task requires the students to write an essay on their personal opinion on a common experience. Boundaries of personal knowledge is wider when compared to the one acquired from a passage which is read or listened to. That’s why independent task is allotted 30 minutes.
- Independent Task – In the independent task, a student is provided with a list of questions on common experiences. And also there is no necessity for an expertise in the subject, with which the questions are related. It will take 5 minutes for the students to read and understand the questions. Once this procedure is completed they should focus on the steps detailed below.
- Students should explain their view point on the common experiences. When they observe the experience or a common issue on their own, they end up finding topics for the essay.
- A relevant and an interesting introduction which is relevant to their view point should be written.
- Then in the body of the essay they should cover the darker and lighter sides of the issue. Here if they agree or disagree with the specific points of the issue, they should explain it with supportive examples.
- The examples which are presented should prove the main purpose of their essay. A simple sentence should be constructed to present the main purpose of the essay.
- Finally, an interesting conclusion should be written, to give a complete look to the essay.
Integrated task is grounded on reading and listening skills while independent task projects on knowledge and experience.
2. Paper Based TOEFL Writing Test (PBT)
Paper based writing test consists only of one task which should be completed within 30 minutes. In this format of TOEFL writing test section, students will be presented with a set of questions on common time issues or general experiences. The TOEFL candidates should write their view point on those issues and substantiate them with strong and supportive example.
The representation of TOEFL writing test structure in the form of iBT or PBT is designed on similar skills but the only feature that differentiates them is the timing. It is more important that good listening and analyzing skills are required to prove your opinions and to find the relation between two different sources.
More in TOEFL
TOEFL tests the proficiency of a person in Standard English. Please go through the details on the identification documents for TOEFL registration.
The contents of this page expatiates the details in TOEFL reading and test structure. Read on for more details on the same.
TOEFL FAQs gives answers for commonly asked questions that are concerned with TOEFL test structure, fee structure, scoring range, TOEFL syllabus and other information on TOEFL. It may be defined as an aspect to widen your knowledge base about TOEFL.
This page presents the facts about TOEFL Speaking Test Structure. This information will be obliging for the test takers who want to know everything about the speaking section TOEFL.
This article highlights the differences between internet Based TOEFL Vs Paper based TOEFL. Read on to know the differences between the available formats of the test.
The article below gives a detailed list of TOEFL Preparation Books. Having proper study materials is very important for preparation. Read on to know the best study materials and guides available for TOEFL.
This page contains information and tips on TOEFL strategies for listening section. Each strategy in listening section is detailed, to show how to answer each question within the given time.
This article portrays the checklist of test day essentials for TOEFL. The importance of having a checklist is explained in a detailed manner along with the key points. Read on to know the easy tips for the test day.
This article elucidates some of the most successful TOEFL general tips for preparing for the exam. These tips are handy and very necessary for succeeding in the test. Check out the various tips in this page to crack TOEFL.
This article states the important TOEFL Strategies For Speaking Section. Read on to know the detailed information on various tips and strategies useful for speaking section in TOEFL.
This article describes the TOEFL advantages. It is very important to know the benefits of the test before you plan to take it. Read below to know the key points on how TOEFL can be advantageous.
TOEFL is a test for English as a foreign language. It is offered in paper based format only in few test centers. Read on for more to know the steps to register for paper based TOEFL and to score in the test.
TOEFL aims at measuring the ability of non native English speakers who desire to study in English speaking countries. Here are some guidelines and easy tips on how to prepare for TOEFL. Read on to know more about TOEFL preparation.
The purpose of next generation TOEFL is to show its evolutionary history and to provide tips on how to prepare for the next generation TOEFL which is nothing but internet based TOEFL (iBT) test. Further details are expatiated in this page.
This page contains the complete information on TOEFL speaking syllabus. Browse through the article to know the different sections in the speaking section of TOEFL.
The contents of this page contains detailed information on the structure of TOEFL writing syllabus. Read on more to know each and every section in TOEFL writing syllabus.
The main purpose of TOEFL listening syllabus is to help candidates in their preparation for listening test. The complete details in each part of the test are given in detail in this article.
The contents of this page gives a complete structure of TOEFL reading syllabus. Every section of TOEFL reading syllabus is elaborated in detail in this page.
This page describes the key points about internet based TOEFL. Read on to know about the facts of internet based TOEFL which is preferred by millions of candidates vying for studies abroad.
This article highlights on who accepts TOEFL score. TOEFL is an international level test and it is important to know the best top list of universities that accept TOEFL score. Read on to know the details.
Practice questions in reading section proposes to provide tips for those who take up the test, and to get familiar with the types of questions and how to answer them within the given time. Read on for more details on TOEFL Practice Questions.
Listening skills are important to take up TOEFL tests. TOEFL listening practice questions provides tips on how to understand the subject matter and a detailed picture on the types of listening questions in TOEFL.
This page explores few important key points on how to score high in TOEFL/ Test of English as a Foreign Language.
This article provides detailsed information on eligibility criteria for disabled TOEFL Test Takers. Read on to know the key points and provisions made for disabled test takers in TOEFL.
This article elaborates on the important identification proof for TOEFL test takers with disabilities. Browse through the article to know the detailed information on the documents required for TOEFL test takers with disabilities.
The objective of TOEFL reading sample questions is to provide an idea on the types of questions in the reading section of the test. Along with the questions there are also directions on how to answer which are also elaborated in this article.
This article consists of sample questions for TOEFL Writing section and it also provides tips on how to answer these questions. For more details on TOEFL writing sample questions check over this page.
TOEFL listening sample questions will help in providing a real time experience in listening test section. The main purpose of this document is to give guidelines on how to answer all the questions in listening section.