How To Prepare For TOEFL
TOEFL scores are accepted by about 6,000 colleges in 110 countries. Some of the native English speakers take up TOEFL to increase their chances for admission into international colleges. The tips and guidelines on how to prepare for TOEFL are elaborated below.
General Tips and Guidelines
- Before you start up with a coaching for TOEFL know your strengths and weakness, to identify your areas of improvement.
- Plan your preparation with good strategies.
- Strategies would help you to manage time and skills in all the sections of TOEFL, expatiated below.
TOEFL Reading Tips
The reading test section in TOEFL is designed keeping in mind the sole perspective of:
- Improve the reading skills of non-native English speaking candidates’
- Assessing their level of understanding,
- Appraising how well they can absorb the subject matter read,
- Evaluating their speed of reading, and
- Coaching them on the importance of time management skills.
In order to score well in the TOEFL reading section one can take the help of text books and other materials like CDs, mock test etc available in text as well as online. For more specific guidelines on cracking the reading section follow the tips given below:
- Practice reading text books on academic topics like science, business, art, social science, etc.
- Build up the vocabulary by learning new words by picking them up from a passage. As a first step the meaning for the word is to be guessed, by understanding the context. Use those words in daily use by speaking and writing.
- Increase the speed and accuracy, by skimming the passage for purpose, main idea, relevant details, and general impression.
- Make it as a practice to draw an outline of the passage, after it was schemed for information.
- When all the important information is collected from a passage, implications or inferences should be identified, to draw a conclusion.
- Organize the thoughts, ideas and the relevant details in a passage using the outline. The outline should be followed closely. Summarize your observation about the text.
To work hard on these skills, and increase the fluency by read constantly.
TOEFL Listening Tips
Listening test in TOEFL is intended in view of the following purposes:
- To learn a language by active listening skills.
- Pragmatic understanding or understanding the meaning of a word depending on the context.
- To understand the context of the audio that is listened to.
- To find out what the speaker is trying to convey.
- If the person has understood the accent of the speaker, then to find the core contents of the audio.
- To find the relationship between the important details of the passage.
Scoring well in TOEFL listening section depends on the way preparation is planned. It is advisable to watch English movies, and news channels like BBC, CNN, etc. Along with this kind of exercise practice listening to audio tapes which contains academic material. Follow these exercises with the guidelines given below:
- Learn new vocabulary and make a list of them.
- Find out the key words which connect the relevant details in a material.
- Pause the recording in certain places, and try to predict what would be the next. Make a note of the main idea, cause of the events and the relationship in between the events.
- In order to overcome the obstacles as intonation and stress watch a recorded comedy series. Try to comprehend the meaning by paying attention to them.
TOEFL Speaking Tips
Speaking section in TOEFL is premeditated to serve the following aspects in English language:
- To handle language without any flaws in pronunciation.
- To collect information from class room and from the outside source.
- To respond to a general question spontaneously in a well organized manner.
- To present one’s observation in a logical order.
To accomplish the task of speaking like a native English speaker can be achieved by speaking with native English speakers or attending some training sessions with English tutors. There are some tips to work on the purposes mentioned above:
- Practice language with standard vocabulary and pronunciation, by talking on your personal experience.
- Practice reading short articles and listening to recorded material on the same topic as the reading ones.
- It’s important to summarize the details in writing and to produce it orally, with correct tone, intonation and stress
- Use linking words and try conveying ideas on your own style, like a native English speaker does.
- Identify the attitude of the material.
It is always best to join an English club.
TOEFL Writing Tips
TOEFL writing section is designed for the following purposes:
- To improve the writing skills, up to the international standards.
- To write with usage of variety of vocabulary, idioms and grammar rules.
- Express one’s personal view on a general topic, with logical and supporting ideas.
- Describe the contents of different sources and to show how those sources are related.
To achieve all these purposes there are certain exercises to be followed:
- It is important to write an essay, at least on one familiar topic everyday and to revise your own article.
- Brush up on basic grammar rules, spelling and punctuation.
- Write essays on a written material and audio material, in order to process the ideas in a logical order.
- All the essays should be well structured, with a progression of ideas and signal words.
On the whole writing practice will help you to be proficient in an academic environment like the others.
Therefore, it is understood that in order to prepare for TOEFL, professional coaching and proper guidelines are necessary. Constant practice on each and every section will help you to manage time and hence score better.
More in TOEFL
TOEFL tests the proficiency of a person in Standard English. Please go through the details on the identification documents for TOEFL registration.
The contents of this page expatiates the details in TOEFL reading and test structure. Read on for more details on the same.
TOEFL FAQs gives answers for commonly asked questions that are concerned with TOEFL test structure, fee structure, scoring range, TOEFL syllabus and other information on TOEFL. It may be defined as an aspect to widen your knowledge base about TOEFL.
The purpose of writing section in TOEFL is to test the ability of a student to write Standard English in an academic environment. The tasks in TOEFL writing test structure is elaborated in this page.
This page presents the facts about TOEFL Speaking Test Structure. This information will be obliging for the test takers who want to know everything about the speaking section TOEFL.
This article highlights the differences between internet Based TOEFL Vs Paper based TOEFL. Read on to know the differences between the available formats of the test.
The article below gives a detailed list of TOEFL Preparation Books. Having proper study materials is very important for preparation. Read on to know the best study materials and guides available for TOEFL.
This page contains information and tips on TOEFL strategies for listening section. Each strategy in listening section is detailed, to show how to answer each question within the given time.
This article portrays the checklist of test day essentials for TOEFL. The importance of having a checklist is explained in a detailed manner along with the key points. Read on to know the easy tips for the test day.
This article elucidates some of the most successful TOEFL general tips for preparing for the exam. These tips are handy and very necessary for succeeding in the test. Check out the various tips in this page to crack TOEFL.
This article states the important TOEFL Strategies For Speaking Section. Read on to know the detailed information on various tips and strategies useful for speaking section in TOEFL.
This article describes the TOEFL advantages. It is very important to know the benefits of the test before you plan to take it. Read below to know the key points on how TOEFL can be advantageous.
TOEFL is a test for English as a foreign language. It is offered in paper based format only in few test centers. Read on for more to know the steps to register for paper based TOEFL and to score in the test.
The purpose of next generation TOEFL is to show its evolutionary history and to provide tips on how to prepare for the next generation TOEFL which is nothing but internet based TOEFL (iBT) test. Further details are expatiated in this page.
This page contains the complete information on TOEFL speaking syllabus. Browse through the article to know the different sections in the speaking section of TOEFL.
The contents of this page contains detailed information on the structure of TOEFL writing syllabus. Read on more to know each and every section in TOEFL writing syllabus.
The main purpose of TOEFL listening syllabus is to help candidates in their preparation for listening test. The complete details in each part of the test are given in detail in this article.
The contents of this page gives a complete structure of TOEFL reading syllabus. Every section of TOEFL reading syllabus is elaborated in detail in this page.
This page describes the key points about internet based TOEFL. Read on to know about the facts of internet based TOEFL which is preferred by millions of candidates vying for studies abroad.
This article highlights on who accepts TOEFL score. TOEFL is an international level test and it is important to know the best top list of universities that accept TOEFL score. Read on to know the details.
Practice questions in reading section proposes to provide tips for those who take up the test, and to get familiar with the types of questions and how to answer them within the given time. Read on for more details on TOEFL Practice Questions.
Listening skills are important to take up TOEFL tests. TOEFL listening practice questions provides tips on how to understand the subject matter and a detailed picture on the types of listening questions in TOEFL.
This page explores few important key points on how to score high in TOEFL/ Test of English as a Foreign Language.
This article provides detailsed information on eligibility criteria for disabled TOEFL Test Takers. Read on to know the key points and provisions made for disabled test takers in TOEFL.
This article elaborates on the important identification proof for TOEFL test takers with disabilities. Browse through the article to know the detailed information on the documents required for TOEFL test takers with disabilities.
The objective of TOEFL reading sample questions is to provide an idea on the types of questions in the reading section of the test. Along with the questions there are also directions on how to answer which are also elaborated in this article.
This article consists of sample questions for TOEFL Writing section and it also provides tips on how to answer these questions. For more details on TOEFL writing sample questions check over this page.
TOEFL listening sample questions will help in providing a real time experience in listening test section. The main purpose of this document is to give guidelines on how to answer all the questions in listening section.