TOEFL Writing Syllabus
Writing section in TOEFL aims at measuring the standard of students to write in English in an academic milieu. This is where the potential of a student to write in Standard English format with fundamental grammar rules become important. The TOEFL Writing syllabus elaborated below has been compiled keeping in mind the complete TOEFL writing test structure and format. Read this to get an idea of what kinds of tasks are given in TOEFL writing section and how best to prepare for it in order to score good marks.
Complete TOEFL Writing Syllabus
TOEFL writing Essay writing syllabus is divided into two parts according to the writing section in TOEFL namely:
1. Integrated Writing Syllabus
- Integrated writing syllabus consists of a reading passage from an academic topic and a recorded lecture which is to be listened to, on the same topic.
- The total timing for the integrated task is 20 min. In this task, a student has to combine information from reading source and from the recording, in order to show how those two passages are related.
- The questions in this part of writing syllabus require answers which contain the key facts and main ideas that relate both the texts.
- Independent writing syllabus consists of a common issue or an experience which is familiar to students.
- In this part of writing syllabus students should provide their personal views, and opinions on the issue. And while providing their opinions they should substantiate with supporting examples or instances.
- The questions in this task do not require an expertise on the subject matter. Answers to these questions should consist a clear progression of ideas and personal viewpoints.
Hence writing is a product obtained from listening to the sources around and processing the information, there are certain purposes upon which questions in writing syllabus are based. They are listed and defined as the following:
- Combine Information from Two Different Sources - This is a method where information from two different sources should be synthesized to find what the aspects are which relates those two sources. The questions in integrated task require answers of this kind.
The answers should contain the main idea and purpose of the passage in the introductory paragraph. And the body of the essay should have a clear progression of key facts, and the cause of events. These events need to be categorized according to the order of events.
- Processing View Points - Students have to form their personal views on an issue or experience. When a general question is asked, they should express their opinion on the situation explained there. Starting from this point, they have to develop the topic and they have to write an essay which contains their ideas, and if they should support those ideas with examples.
- Language Usage - A good usage of standard grammar and variety of vocabulary helps in scoring high. Students should get familiar with unknown words and should use it while speaking and writing. Raters always expect for a good usage of grammar and vocabulary. While giving answers to a question in the form of an essay rich language is very important.
- Topic development of an Essay – An essay should have a clear order of facts, ideas, number of words, tone and conclusion.
- Delivery of an Essay - The structure of an essay should have an interesting and relevant introduction, well progressed body and a conclusion which gives the viewpoint of a student (independent) or the inference from the author’s point of view (integrated).
More in TOEFL
TOEFL tests the proficiency of a person in Standard English. Please go through the details on the identification documents for TOEFL registration.
The contents of this page expatiates the details in TOEFL reading and test structure. Read on for more details on the same.
TOEFL FAQs gives answers for commonly asked questions that are concerned with TOEFL test structure, fee structure, scoring range, TOEFL syllabus and other information on TOEFL. It may be defined as an aspect to widen your knowledge base about TOEFL.
The purpose of writing section in TOEFL is to test the ability of a student to write Standard English in an academic environment. The tasks in TOEFL writing test structure is elaborated in this page.
This page presents the facts about TOEFL Speaking Test Structure. This information will be obliging for the test takers who want to know everything about the speaking section TOEFL.
This article highlights the differences between internet Based TOEFL Vs Paper based TOEFL. Read on to know the differences between the available formats of the test.
The article below gives a detailed list of TOEFL Preparation Books. Having proper study materials is very important for preparation. Read on to know the best study materials and guides available for TOEFL.
This page contains information and tips on TOEFL strategies for listening section. Each strategy in listening section is detailed, to show how to answer each question within the given time.
This article portrays the checklist of test day essentials for TOEFL. The importance of having a checklist is explained in a detailed manner along with the key points. Read on to know the easy tips for the test day.
This article elucidates some of the most successful TOEFL general tips for preparing for the exam. These tips are handy and very necessary for succeeding in the test. Check out the various tips in this page to crack TOEFL.
This article states the important TOEFL Strategies For Speaking Section. Read on to know the detailed information on various tips and strategies useful for speaking section in TOEFL.
This article describes the TOEFL advantages. It is very important to know the benefits of the test before you plan to take it. Read below to know the key points on how TOEFL can be advantageous.
TOEFL is a test for English as a foreign language. It is offered in paper based format only in few test centers. Read on for more to know the steps to register for paper based TOEFL and to score in the test.
TOEFL aims at measuring the ability of non native English speakers who desire to study in English speaking countries. Here are some guidelines and easy tips on how to prepare for TOEFL. Read on to know more about TOEFL preparation.
The purpose of next generation TOEFL is to show its evolutionary history and to provide tips on how to prepare for the next generation TOEFL which is nothing but internet based TOEFL (iBT) test. Further details are expatiated in this page.
This page contains the complete information on TOEFL speaking syllabus. Browse through the article to know the different sections in the speaking section of TOEFL.
The main purpose of TOEFL listening syllabus is to help candidates in their preparation for listening test. The complete details in each part of the test are given in detail in this article.
The contents of this page gives a complete structure of TOEFL reading syllabus. Every section of TOEFL reading syllabus is elaborated in detail in this page.
This page describes the key points about internet based TOEFL. Read on to know about the facts of internet based TOEFL which is preferred by millions of candidates vying for studies abroad.
This article highlights on who accepts TOEFL score. TOEFL is an international level test and it is important to know the best top list of universities that accept TOEFL score. Read on to know the details.
Practice questions in reading section proposes to provide tips for those who take up the test, and to get familiar with the types of questions and how to answer them within the given time. Read on for more details on TOEFL Practice Questions.
Listening skills are important to take up TOEFL tests. TOEFL listening practice questions provides tips on how to understand the subject matter and a detailed picture on the types of listening questions in TOEFL.
This page explores few important key points on how to score high in TOEFL/ Test of English as a Foreign Language.
This article provides detailsed information on eligibility criteria for disabled TOEFL Test Takers. Read on to know the key points and provisions made for disabled test takers in TOEFL.
This article elaborates on the important identification proof for TOEFL test takers with disabilities. Browse through the article to know the detailed information on the documents required for TOEFL test takers with disabilities.
The objective of TOEFL reading sample questions is to provide an idea on the types of questions in the reading section of the test. Along with the questions there are also directions on how to answer which are also elaborated in this article.
This article consists of sample questions for TOEFL Writing section and it also provides tips on how to answer these questions. For more details on TOEFL writing sample questions check over this page.
TOEFL listening sample questions will help in providing a real time experience in listening test section. The main purpose of this document is to give guidelines on how to answer all the questions in listening section.